Whit and I are getting excited about our imminent return to Gwangju, South Korea. After being home for about six months, we are aching to get back out into this big ol’ world.
We bought a new suitcase at TJ Maxx the other day. A really large one. Last time we moved to Korea we brought two suitcases and two backpacks in total. I still remember how hard it was to pack for the first time. What would we need in a year in Korea?
This time, we’re doing one big suitcase and two backpacks. We’re also doing some traveling on our multi-destination ticket out to Korea and we don’t want to lug around fifteen hundred bags.
So what do we take for one year abroad?
- My favorite jeans. (ok, two pairs)
- Whit’s one pair of jeans. (he seriously owns only one pair)
- A dress or two
- Man pants (translated: pants that will actually fit Whit)
- Whit’s two pairs of shoes.
- A few tops
- Whit’s stinky running shoes, wrapped in four plastic bags
- My stinky running shoes, wrapped in four plastic bags
- 2 winter coats
- About 15 boxes of tampons (they don’t have them there)
- My camera + equipment
- Settlers of Catan, our favorite game
- About 5 books, which we will trade and barter off after finishing them (currently on the list: Flannery O’Connor’s Complete Stories; William Faulkner’s Intruders in the Dust; The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, to name a few).
- my beloved Mac and new Sherpani carrying case
- A sleeping bag
I’m sure we’ll throw a few more random things in there. But there you go, our lives in a suitcase. What’s in yours? Or would be in yours?