Shopping in Korea is fun. Little boutiques are as common as kimchi, and the brand name stores like H&M and Zara can keep a girl like me VERY happy.
But what about Internet shopping? For me, a new mom who spends most of her time indoors (at least until the weather warms up a few degrees), Internet shopping has become a mainstay.
Let me introduce you to my friend, G-Market.
Founded in 2000 in Korea, it has become the country’s No. 1 Internet shopping website. And, believe me, you can find anything on there!
For example, Christmas lights can be a bit expensive around town. But on G-market, they went for about W2,000. (I bought 4 sets)
When I see an article of clothing on the streets for W20,000, G-Market will often have it for cheaper. Shoes, too.
And ever since I started shopping for baby, G-Market has become my mainstay baby supply center. I’ve bought a baby swing, a baby gym, a baby bouncer, clothes, cloth diapers, a baby crib and much much more.
My husband has just gotten use to getting a forwarded text message from G-Market, saying please deposit xxx into this account. “Ahh, the wife is online again.”
Despite its head-spinning homepage with hundreds of blinking and rotating images, it is easy to use for foreigners. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure to click on English at the top of the screen. There will still be some Korean here and there but it will be much more navigable.
- Try searching for the item you are looking for rather than going through the broad categories. For example, when looking for baby items, I often start at Amazon.com and find the brand I like. Then I type that in the search at G-Market, and BAM. There it is.
- Register on the site. This is needed for you to easily order. In my experience, it has been next to impossible to register on the site through a Mac computer. So use your computer at work to register. Then you do do everything else through your Mac.
- To pay for an item, the easiest way is “from private account.” That way, you simply go to your ATM at your bank and send a wire transfer. Once you make the transfer, they will automatically send you a text message letting you know they received the money.
- You will receive another text when the item is shipped. G-Market is FAST. So expect it within a couple days!